A keen interest in military history, and the history of Watnall and the surrounding area results in a strong interest in the history of the South Nottinghamshire Yeomanry.
A LITTLE MORE ON THE ROLLESTON'S
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
A small collection of items, images, Watnall Hall stationary which turn up in auction in recent years. Sadly, I was not the winner. Find it interesting that the phone number of the Hall in 1916 was "80 BULWELL" !
Many people still believe that the RAF base at Watnall, the underground Control Room, and Headquarters of Fighter Command 12 Group took part in the most important air battle in history, the Battle of Britain 1940, where the German Luftwaffe attempted to defeat the RAF and then be in a position to force the UK to surrender or leave it open to invasion. Some of the most highly respected books on the subject of the Battle of Britain name Watnall as being the location of 12 Group Headquarters during the battle. In the modern world of online research, several historical research websites list Watnall as the location of the control room for the battle, as do some local historians. So why is this? RAF Hucknall had been in operation since the First World War. Over time, its role with the RAF changed. It was to become a training centre for flight crews and involved in aircraft repair and research in collaboration with Rolls-Royce, and by 1939, it was the location of the ...
It may come as a surprise to some just how much of Watnall was covered by the RAF station in the 1940's, and equally surprising how little of it remains today. From Trough Road to the end of Common Lane was taken over by the RAF. All that remains above ground today - as far as I know, and please correct me if I am wrong, are, the covered Stanton Air-raid shelter in Watnall Spinney, "the Hut" at the back of the Royal Oak, the entrance to the underground operations block in the grounds of the HGV testing station facing the Royal Oak, and the Filter room aside Common Lane, below ground level and recently renovated and shown in the TV programme, "Restoration Man". Please examine the map of RAF Watnall dated 1949, image-2. It may be an idea to save the image to your pictures to enable you to zoom in. It is scanned from a book I have, if the details are too poor, p/m me your email address and I will send you the image in a higher resolution. It is not a brilliant ...
Another place in Watnall close to my heart with fond memories is Watnall Spinney to be found at the end of Trough Lane, along Trough Road. It would have been either 1980 or 1981 that I first visited the area. I went on a play-day to my school friend's house, Richard Johnson who lived on Rolleston Crescent. He told me about the Hall which once stood where his house was now which I was fascinated by. We called for our mutual school friend, Paul Horton. We then went over Richard's back garden onto the fields beyond. They showed me the graves for the first time. They were completely overgrown. Paul seemed to have inside knowledge that there were in fact graves inside. The gate could just be made out and a small tunnel through the overgrowth through which someone had crawled through in the past to make the discovery. I remember the rusty locked gate and some of the fence was visible, but I remember the surrounding fence being much taller than what is there now, - but then again, ...